Menu

Design & Technology

Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, students design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Students learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and wellbeing of the nation.

 In D&T students at Amery Hill will:

 

  •  learn to design, make and control high-quality products and systems
  • develop practical skills though the use of tools, materials and components
  • look to the future by being creative and innovative
  • use knowledge and understanding to solve problems in real-life contexts
  • evaluate and test their own ideas and become informed consumers of products and services
  • learn about sustainability issues concerning finite resources and energy production
  • develop the competence to fully participate in an increasingly technological world
  • develop the desire to be enterprising and a readiness to take risks
  • enjoy, value and be motivated by designing and making

D &T Curriculum

Year 7

Students will rotate through four different projects during the year:

  • Introduction to Woods, Metals and Plastics – BlockBot
  • Introduction to Electronics – Steady Hand Game
  • Introduction to Food Technology – Making basic recipes including fruit crumble, scones and a one pot salad
  • Introduction to Textiles – Juggles and draw string bag

Year 8

  • LED Nightlight
  • Blister Packaging
  • Food Technology – Unit on nutrition including making some of the following: pasta bake, soup and risotto
  • Decorative fabric techniques – Cushion
     

At the end of Year 8 students have the option of choosing GCSE Design & Technology or GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition

Year 9 Design & Technology

  • Design Movement Inspired Clock
  • MP3 Amplifier
  • Programmable Electronics
  • Re-iterative Design Project

Year 9 Food Preparation and Nutrition

  • Learning cooking skills by making a variety of dishes in preparation for the GCSE ourse.
  • Knowledge based work on Healthy Eating Guidelines, Nutrition and Food Choice

Year 10 Design & Technology

  • Prototype trainer design
  • Programmable Electronics
  • Pewter Casting
  • Wood and Acrylic box
  • Plastic phone holder
  • Re-iterative Design Project.
     

Year 10 Food Preparation and Nutrition

Students will develop their food preparation and cooking skills (making a wide variety of recipes) and learn about the science behind the processes used in cooking and the ingredients used.
 

Year 11 Design & Technology

GCSE Final Year Project worth 50% of the overall grade including a 20-25 page project design booklet

Written exam worth 50% of overall grade.

Year 11 Food Preparation and Nutrition

Students will undertake a Food Science Investigation Task (worth 15% of their overall GCSE grade) and a Food Preparation Practical Task and Exam (worth 35%) and a Written Examination at the end of the course (worth 50%).